In order for you to use this website, it is important that you understand the rules and policies.
1) Members are to treat one another with respect when communicating through comments or private messaging. Abusive or racial comments will not be tolerated. While we try not to censor comments if it is clear that a pattern of targetting other people is occurring your comment may be removed. If you want to be negative, please find another website to visit.
2) The content of private messages is just that - private. You are not to repost these messages outside of the private messaging system without the consent of the other party. Only the administrator has access to your messages and will only open them under one of two situations: a) A complaint is made about your conduct or b) Due to issues with your email that prevent you from using it, we may open the database to correct the problem. In both cases you will be made aware that this has occurred. If you are not comfortable with this policy, you should use external mail to communicate with another member.
3) You will not post photos that belong to someone else unless you have their permission.
4) Your account belongs to you and only you. Anyone caught sharing their account will have their access revoked.
5) Multiple accounts are not permitted. If you need to have your account combined with another one, let us know.
6) IMPORTANT: If you have been found to have stolen (taking items from a location that don't belong to you), your account will be terminated. This is common sense.
7) We rarely need to delete/ban a member. In the rare case where this occurs we will keep the reasons confidential. We feel that only the administration needs to know the details. If however you choose to complain publically about your dismissal and in a manner that brings negative attention to the site, we may post the details as to why you were banned to be fair.
8) Members do not 'own' the locations that they create, they only own the photographs. If a member chooses to close their account, their photographs will NOT be automatically removed. You should manually remove your galleries first (until I can automate the removal process), ask that they be removed (this process takes 24-48 hours depending on how many photos you have uploaded) or allow us to keep them online. Again - when creating a location you should be aware that it becomes part of the site, you cannot own an entry. This would be like posting your favourite fishing spot, camp ground, etc. and claiming that it belongs to you.
We are always open to suggestions for new features or to make changes. Members are routinely asked for their input when it comes to major changes in the operation of the website. I've said it before and I'll say it again - this is YOUR website, based on your contributions. Feel free to offer any suggestions that you want.
Please remember that your use of this website is a privilege and not a right. If you do not follow these basic conduct expectations, we have every right to close your account.
Terms and Conditions
Example: If you visit a location and are caught trespassing,
you cannot claim that OAP told you that it was safe to trespass on the
property. OAP provides information about locations on an "as is"
basis, information found on OAP should not be considered legal advice.
You should never enter onto someone's property without first seeking permission
from the property owner.
OAP also assumes no responsibility, and shall not be liable for, any damages to, or viruses that may infect, your computer equipment or other property on account of your access to, use of, or browsing the site or your downloading of any materials, data, text, images, video or audio from this site.
In plain English
use of this site is at your own
Photographs appearing on this webpage are either provided by OAP, have been uploaded by visitors, or have been obtained from archives. These photgraphs may be protected under Canadian Copyright Law.
For photographs taken by OAP (Ontario Abandoned Places), permission must be obtained to duplicate or publish these photographs. As this web page is a non-profit service, OAP does not charge any fee to use our photographs.
Permission to use photographs uploaded by other members must be obtained from the photographer as OAP cannot grant permission on their behalf. OAP cannot and will not be responsible for members uploading copyrighted photos. Members are expected to own the copyright for all images which they upload to the site.
Photographs taken from archives shall have their source indicated (if known). If a photograph should appear that originated from your archive, please contact OAP. Every effort has been taken to credit proper sources.
On pages where vintage photographs are used, per sections 6.0 and 10(1) of the Copyright Act, these copyrights may have expired.
Sometimes people make mistakes so if you encounter a photograph that is your intellectual property, please let us know so that we may remove it or credit your work.